The Falls of Foyers
No trip to the south side of Loch Ness would be complete without visiting the famous Falls of Foyers, only a short walk from the lodge.
The Fall of Foyers is a waterfall with a drop of 165 feet located on the River Foyers which feeds Loch Ness. The waterfall is the inspiration for Robert Burns’ poem Lines On The Fall Of Fyers Near Loch-Ness which he wrote ‘with a pencil on the spot’ in 1787.
The flow over the falls has been much reduced since 1895 when the British Aluminium Company built an aluminium smelting plant on the shore of Loch Ness which was powered by electricity generated by the river. However, this doesn’t detract from their beauty and they are most definitely a must see.
You can also enjoy a number of artworks dedicated to the Falls of Foyers around the lodge, including original pages from ‘The Sketch’ magazine published in 1895 and a poster series designed by Alphabetical Studio in response to Rabbie Burns’ famous poem.